History of Northwest Ohio Association
June 25, 1957
United Church of Christ was formed.
October 25, 1957
Northwest Ohio Association of the Ohio Conference was created. Trinity Church in Tiffin was the place of this historic gathering bringing together 134 congregations from the Central North Association (CC), the Northwest Ohio Association (CC) and the Northwest Ohio Synod (E&R). Rev. Paul W. Kohler was elected the first Association Minister (1957-1976) and Rev. Paul Rohrbaugh was the first Association Moderator. A constitution was adopted and Tiffin was named as the location of the Association office.
The original structural make up of the Conference included three staff persons for each Association. These included an Association Minister, a Director of Religious Education and a Minister for Parish Programs. Northwest realized early on the difficulty in funding three full time positions. They entered into a shared program staff configuration with the Ohio Conference. A staff person would work fifty percent for the Association and fifty percent for the Conference.
May 6-7, 1964
First Annual Meeting
The first annual meeting of the Association was held at First Church, Lima.
Rev. Dr. Perl
Rev. Dr. Roger D. Perl was Called as our Association Minister. The two shared staff leaders during his tenure were Rev. Clifford Farmer and Rev. Alan McLarty.
Wentz St. Location
The Association purchased the building at 416 Wentz St. in Tiffin. The capital campaign was supported by 100% of our churches.
Rev. Martha Due
Rev. Martha Due was elected as the Associate Association Minister after the shared program staff design in the Ohio Conference ended.
Rev. Dr. Perl Retires
Rev. Dr. Roger Perl retired as our Association Minister. Rev. Martha Due became the Designated Interim Association Minister.
The Association entered a Jubilee Discernment period under the leadership of Rev. Martha Due and Rev. Christine Boardman, Designated Associate Association Minister.
Rev. Barry Bordenkircher
Rev. Barry Bordenkircher served as part-time Minister for Nuture and Development.
A Community of Communities
Rev. Char Burch served as our Interim Association Minister. The Association with assistance from the Center for Parish Development entered a visioning process and developed a new structure as “A Community of Communities”.
Rev. Daniel Busch
Rev. Daniel Busch was Called as the Association Minister.